Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chicken Chaser

Due to the mountain of weeds that has overpowered our compost pile, our chickens now have a ladder out of the coop.  The chickens have flown the coop the past two days, which is at first aggravating because they inevitably are in the bed I just planted scratching up the seeds and eating my starts.  DARGH!  But, whatever, things can be re-planted... I gots to chase me some chooks!

The scene stays the same.  I chase each chicken around our yard, the neighbors yard, into and out of the raspberry bushes, along the fence until I can finally get them trapped somewhere, I reach down- they squawk and squabble and then give in.  As soon as the pursuit begins the chicken almost immediately attempt to particle transport through the fence back into their pen...  They stick their head through the fence and jump up and flap their wings against the fence- hasn't worked yet.  Keep trying though.

I love watching, listening to, chasing, feeding and co-habitating with my chickens... and on Saturday I am going to be participating in a good ol' fashioned chicken slaughter.  I will let you know how that goes.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about chickens, but do they have a good run?
    I've heard two main problems from urban chicken keepers: no roost and no run.
    I'm waiting on baited breath to hear about the slaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have a pretty good run. They are pretty happy it seems, but they can't pass up any opportunity to eat fresh seedlings.

    ReplyDelete