Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Jersey Cowgirl

Last week before my new job orientation I stopped at my friend Sam's house to hang out. While we were sitting in the kitchen drinking coffee- I suggested he buy a donkey so he could ride into town. After we talked about donkeys and how cool and pretty they are, Sam suggested that he should just ride his cow, Wanda, into town. yes. He offered to give me a demonstration on the rideability of Wanda.

He grabbed a loaf of day old bread to reward her, and we slogged out to the field. Wanda was looking particularly golden and glorious on this day, and she ran over to greet Sam and I. Sam gave her a little nibble of the bread and then legged up. He then gave me the bun to taunt her along so she could get used to following bread, so he could eventually rig up a system to string her along.

Since he didn't have the proper tools, it was up to me to taunt Wanda with the bread and lead her along the field. Within about 5 seconds she was eating the whole loaf of bread and I was geeking out because she licked my hand.

Next it was my turn to cowgirl up. I had to flop up on Wanda's back and then swing my leg up. It took a few attempts, and it wasn't pretty. Then Sam decided to lead her towards the house... She watched him walk away for a bit and then TOOK OFF! She was running through the cow shit filled field and it was scary. I was thinking over and over again how I was going to fall off and re-break my arm or have to go to my job orientation covered in cow poo. After I let my initial fears go, I was still scared but the thrill of riding a Jersey cow set in. It was super fun... and when I showed up at my job orientation covered in cow hair and with cow shit on my boots, I think it went unnoticed because of my excited glow that one can only get from riding a half-ton animal bareback.




Wanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment