Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Welcome.

"In short, a Hill-Billie is a free and untrammelled white citizen of Alabama, who lives in the hills, has no means to speak of, dresses as he can, talks as he pleases, drinks whiskey when he gets it, and fires of his revolver as the fancy takes him." ["New York Journal," April 23, 1900]

My take is a bit different than the early 20
th century version of the New York Journal- I believe that you can live anywhere and be a hillbilly- not just Alabama. At least, that is my hope.

Ah, the life of a hillbilly sounds so freeing, so American, so... what I want to be when I grow up. And I will let you know, that I am on my way!

Why just this week, I drank whiskey and wore an outfit that was described to me as "weird and
mis-matched". But this isn't my only hopes of hillbillism. I see it as someone who knows how to live off the land, get by on the cheap, spends a lot of time around a campfire and maybe even does some moonshinin' and bootleggin' on the side. I hope I haven't set my goals too lofty.

This blog will chronicle my progress, and tips for all of the aspiring hillbillies in the land.

Thanks,

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment